YOU NEED NORMAL BUSINESS OPERATION WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS?
Thursday, 16 April 2020
REASONS FOR POWER QUALITY MONITORING:
Increase of use of power electronics
- Frequency inverters
- Switching power supplies
- Non-linear loads, modern lightning, ...
Increase of unbalanced and non-linear loads like large furnaces and rectifiers
Liberalization of energy markets
- More demanding power regulation due to increase of grid connected renewable energy sources
- Reduction of infrastructure investments
HOW TO MEASURE POWER QUALITY?
Step 1: Measurement methods for PQ analysers
- Power Quality parameters can not be measured by standard measuring devices used for voltage/current/power… monitoring
- Only Class A Power Quality analysers can be used for that purpose.
- Proper methodes are defined with IEC 61000-4-30 Ed.3 standard and sub-standards for harmonic analysis and flickers
- Measuring methods define principles for PQ parameters acquisition
HOW DO WE EVALUATE POWER QUALITY?
Step 2: Evaluation methods for issuing PQ compliance reports
- They are defined with EN 50160 standard.
- Limit lines and allowed time of non-compliance for monitored values listed in a table below are defined within this standard.
- Weekly PQ reports for determination of overall PQ compliance
- Anomaly detailed recording (waveforms, RMS trend…) is usefull for post-analysis of events
EXPENSES DUE TO PQ PROBLEMS
- Generated by heavy loads connected to individual phase, damaged inverters, phase or neutral loss, power theft...
- Consequences are
- motor operation (revolution) faults and reduction of efficiency,
- neutral line overloading,
- increasing heat of motors and power lines, shortening their lifespan,
- network losses and voltage drops
ISKRA PQ METERS
- MC770 – Power Quality analyser (built in Class A evaluation methods – New product!)
- MC774 – Power Quality analyser (Class A certified – IEC 6100-4-30 Ed.2)
- (i)MC784 – Advanced Power Quality analyser (Class A certified – IEC 6100-4-30 Ed.3)
Please find more technical details about PQ issues & solutions attached.
- news/PQ_issues__solutions_eng.pptx [1,666 kB]