Markovec tunnel is a twin-tube road tunnel located on the Koper – Izola high-speed road. It is one of the most advanced and safe tunnels in the region. Length of the right tube is 2145 m and the length of the left tube is 2175 m.
Tunnel is built based on highest safety standards and contains powerful and reliable tunnel security, management and control system.
Markovec tunnel represents the successful step towards more efficient and safe traffic. If an unforeseen event in one tube occurs (emergency), the other tube automaticaly adjusts signalization and enables 2 way traffic. There is more signalization in the tunnel than usual. Also, in case of fire alarm, tunnel is automatically closed without intervention of control centre.
All systems, such as traffic lights, LED signalization, traffic count with inductive loops, emergency call system, video control, fire alarm, management of low voltage equipment and power supply, are connected to regional control centre, where computers and supervisors are monitoring tunnels 24/7. Traffic safety is the key word.
In addition to the above, we set up the following equipment in the tunnel:
- Over 90 cameras were installed to ensure:
- 100% video control over total tunnel length
- Automatic traffic video detection
- Automatic detection of dangerous material transportation
- Regional control centre
- Data transfer equipment
- Power stations located on both sides of the tunnel
- Two transformers with 2x630 kva power
- Emergency call system
- Hydrant network
- Noise insulation at the tunnel entrance
- Over 500 control and security elements were mounted (traffic variable message signs, illuminated traffic boards, traffic lights, blinkers, inductive loops)
- Over 700 illumination bodies were mounted
- Left tube consists of 12 fans and right tube consists of 8 fans, which are adjusted to strong wind due to the seaside region
- Hydrant and electro niches
- Emergency call and lane niches
- Transverse pits
For more information download PDF %mygt%%mygt%