Extension Communication Unit ECU
The ECU 032 is a media adapter specially designed for use with the system communication unit SCU 810. It provides physical serial ports for connection of different control and acquisition units, protective devices and other intelligent electronic devices to the SCU 810. The unit is connected to a multi I/O adapter inside SCU 810 via a data cable with DB-37 connector. The modular design of the ECU 032 unit provides 32 communication ports. Excellent expandability with up to 2 ECU 032 enables
the maximum of 64 channels to be implemented by a single SCU 810.
The ECU 032 is designed for rack mount with physical ports located at the back and 2 LED’s (Receive/Transmit) per channel located at the front of the unit. Port connectors are optical or electric with even ratio depending on the ECU 032 version.
• Connection of the EIA 232 communication type devices to the SCU 810
• Connection of the ST or SMA fiber optic communication devices to the SCU 810
• Connection of the EIA 485 communication type devices to SCU 810
• Expanded number of devices connected to the SCU 810
• Reduced heating of the SCU 810
• Improved SCU 810 system performance
• LED indicators for each port operation
• Optically isolated communication ports
• Flush mounting in 19” rack
• Expandable modular design to up to 64 serial channels
• Versions with different ratios of optical and electrical ports available
Control systems with SCU 810 devices on substation or control centre level where required:
• large number of serial ports
• solution for star or loop communication applications
• integration of different physical communication medias
A standard 19” rack design enables space-effective implementation of an ECU 032 near the SCU 810 unit in the control cabinet. In cases where more than 32 ports are required, up to 2 units can be connected to the SCU 810 which provides high space utilization inside a cabinet. A cable connection to the SCU 810 enables the ECU 032 to be mounted on the most appropriate location inside a cabinet to suite the project’s specific requirements.